Saturday 26 June 2010

Govan and take a bow.

It's the second eviction of the final ever series of Big Brother, and, as is customary on a blog, I'd like to share my thoughts. I don't care if you don't want to read them, that's the concept of a blog and you'll just have to deal with it. I mean, chill out it's the 90's man. Govan has been evicted. I'll give you a minute to process that earth shattering news. Yes, the human Kif Kroker from Futurama is on his way home, to 72% (72%!!!) of a four way vote.
I both love and hate eviction nights. I find them an incredibly schizophrenic experience. On the one hand, it satisfies the blood lust I've built up all week, due to an irrational frenzy of hatred for people I've never actually met, and, on the other hand, it's also the moment I realise that the people in Big Brother are actually human beings, and that time they ate an extra yoghurt 4 weeks ago, probably wasn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And, as they are released out to the baying mob, I begin to feel sorry for the person, who, just days ago, I likened to Mussolini. As I said, it's very confusing.
Govan exits to massive boos from the crowd, leaving the housemates in a state of shock and Shabby to pick her, no doubt artistically relevant, jaw up from the floor that it just hit. It always amazes me just how enormously housemates misjudge public opinion. I know they're isolated from the real world and exist within a self-contained bubble, but they must have some sense of self-awareness. Ben is upper class twit, he has no concept of life outside his 40 acre mansion and probably hasn't spoken to anyone who isn't a blood relative, ever, without referring to them as “the help.” He would have been a shoe in to go, but no. As things stands he is one of the more likeable memebers of the house. That a man who, on national television, sung the praises of feudal paternalism, would be one of my favourite housemates, is a damning indictment of them all, to be honest. People don't like bitching. People don't like it when housemates team up in groups and isolate other members of the house. People don't like Shabby. If any of the housemates had seen any other series of big brother, or, simply, existed on Earth for more than a week, they would know this.
Govan sits down for his interview with Davina and is confronted with his atrocious behaviour, which err.... isn't actually that bad. Govan's biggest crime is being a bit of a gossip, and, to be fair to him, there isn't anything else to do in there but naval gaze gossip. If every one sat around in silence trying to look up their own bum cracks while waiting for the tasks, we probably wouldn't have reached 11 series. Govan is obviously a very confused young man, struggling with, among other things, his sexuality and sense of identity, so I do question whether Big Brother was a good choice for him. This stage of his development was always going to be tricky, without having his every decision analysed and criticised by millions of baying viewers. It was obvious that he was going to seek companionship in the house as, if he was well liked, it would be a sort of validation of himself as a person. And I think, that's where his ostracisaion of Ben stemmed from, as, if his group had an enemy, if you will, then Govan would not be left to feel isolated or an outsider. It was playground stuff, admittedly, but he is just a kid. So I, for once, feel Davina handled his interview brilliantly, as there was no need to criticise him aggressively for his behaviour, he can do that himself over the next few weeks. Anyway enough of the cod psychology, I've been on the internet now for well over an hour and I haven't even looked at any pictures of Rachael in her undercrackers, and, that, is the real tragedy.

No comments: